Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Monday, March 15, 2010

In the Beginning




Here I am at the unofficial start of this garden season. I have the first wave of Cole crops and some early tomato seedlings started and put potato sets out in a raised bed yesterday. The night time lows are hoovering above freezing so I have been able to put some flats out into the hoop house. Mealtime consists manly of the frozen and canned bounty of last years garden. I still have plenty of canned tomatoes and green beans, squash and broccoli in the chest freezer, and potatoes and winter squash in the root cellar.

I am also beginning my my adventures in blogging, my attempt to chronicle my daily life in rural SW Wisconsin. I do my best to live locally, sustainably and frugally with a few indulgences thrown in. I stay at home with my 2 year old son, Boogie, and have an internet shop, www.hyenacart.com/euconline where I sell handmade cloth diaper covers. I'm fond of knitting, love animals and cooking (doing the dishes,however, is a whole 'nuther story!). While I am proud of the choices in lifestyle that I make, I don't believe that I am a zealot in any faction. While I prefer to cloth diaper, there are situations where I use disposables as well. I like to cook from scratch, but enjoy the convenience of canned tomato soup in recipes now and then. While the chickens lay eggs, the goats give milk and the rabbits produce fibre, I also have plenty of unproductive animals to feed. Finally, while I would like my son to have handmade and American made clothes and toys, he still has far too many battery operated plastic toys from China and is a Yo Gabba Gabba fan.

I invite you to join me as I begin this new and exciting stage in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment