Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Easy Venison and Rice Stew








I seem to be infatuated with the slow cooker lately. It's been nice enough to want to get out and get things done outside, but still chilly enough for a nice hot dinner. Using the slow cooker lets me do both! This is a tasty way to make a stew or cook a roast. There are many ways to vary the ingredients to your suit your taste.

I start by browning some stew meat, in this case venison, in some oil. Today I had bacon fat from breakfast so I used that. This recipe works well with beef and pork also.



Then I put about half of a 32 ounce box of Cream of Mushroom soup in the bottom of the cooker. I am using a 'don't add water' variety but if you use condensed soup, either put in one small can or 1/2 a large can. You would then add an equal amount of water to the pot right before you start cooking.



Next add the meat. Then a can of un-drained beans. Red, black, white, navy. To paraphrase the late Justin Wilson, use whatever kind of beans that you like to eat!



Then a can of un-drained mushrooms. Fresh work well too.



Now add a box of rice mix. In this case I've used Jambalaya. If you use a packaged Red Beans and Rice, you could omit the canned beans all together.



Now top it all off with the remaining soup or a second small can, and add the water if you are using condensed soup. DO NOT STIR. Cook on low for about 6 hours, 8 if using a roast rather than stew meat.



The nature of a slow cooker is to leave the lid on. Removing the lid allows a lot of heat to escape and increases cooking time. In this case, however, after about 5 hours I check to see if there is enough liquid to completely cook the rice without scorching. Check the rice to see if it is tender and run a spatula around the edge. Add water or broth if necessary and cook for another hour.



I also made a half batch of Ree Drummonds No Knead Rolls to top it off. She has some really good recipes and I recommend you check out the rest of her site. There is enough stew to freeze for another meal in a week or two. I love it when I can cook once and eat twice!



No comments:

Post a Comment