Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Great Squash Invasion

Buttercup
Apparently this is a good year for winter squash, at least in my garden, despite some squash vine borer damage. The vines are sprawling every where and they are loaded with fruit. There are already ripe pumpkins, Delicata and Australian butter squash. Lots of spaghetti squash, acorn, butternut and and buttercup ready soon.
Delicata
Butternut
Sugar Pie Pumpkin
Festival
Australian Butter Squash


Ivory AcornSpaghetti Squash
I've been very happy to see bees out pollinating in the mornings when it has been a bit cooler, but not nearly as many as I have in the past. I think I will have to learn beekeeping and get hives in the future, it sounds really fascinating!
In addition I've had a few volunteer vine pop up in the yard! There were some 'Blue Moon' pumpkins left out over the winter, but I have yet to see a fruit on these vines. They grew in the shade and are producing only male flowers that I can see. One is right outside the kitchen door!The zucchini and yellow summer squash are still producing well due in part to the late second planting I tried this year to help thwart the heat and bugs.
Today I'm going to put up some bread and butter pickles and try to can a batch of wax beans. The rain yesterday brought some respite from the steam room heat and humidity, but the bugs seem to be getting worse day after day. A batch of guineas are in the process of hatching (seven live keets so far). If the rain can stay away, I'm hoping to get caught up on at least some weeding, the potatoes will have to wait for another day when the ground is not so wet.
Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment