Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Monday, December 20, 2010

Adventures in Baking - Yummy, EASY Kolachy

Rebel and Boogie : Strategy Meeting

We've been trying to do a little bit of holiday baking and candy making, but the weather is not being cooperative. Keeping the house warm and animals happy is a bit of work and it's taking away from time in the kitchen. I'm really happy to be able to use my wood stove as a slow cooker though. Appeals to my frugal side and my lazy side!
Boogie and I did put together a store bought 'Ginger House'. While it won't be winning any prizes, he really had fun. The cake decorator in me had to learn to take a step back and let him enjoy himself without worrying about technique or symmetry, easier said then done! Right now I'm hoping the roof does not slide off and making a mental note to use home made royal icing in the future.


Kolachy is one of my favorite cookies, and traditional recipe
s required a lot of work and rolling so, needless to say, I didn't make them very often. Now I use a variation of this recipe for a no roll tender pastry that won't make Grandma turn over in her grave (or as a friend said, reach down from heaven and slap you up side the head).
Or, I've never met a recipe I couldn't figure out a way to tweak.
First, I soften 2 sticks of unsalted butter and an 8 ounce package of cream cheese. Low fat works fine in the re
cipe.
I use my indispensable immersion blender to cream them nice and fluffy.

Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with a pinch of salt. The key to a tender cookie is to not over mix, stirring only until the dry ingredients are barely incorporated.Then I put the dough out on plastic wrap and form into a log about 2" square. This needs to be refrigerated until firm, at least 4 hours, preferably overnightWhen chilled, I slice into 1/4 thick pieces, allow the dough to soften a bit, add a dollop of fruit filling and fold over one edge. They can also be left open faced. Then bake for about 10 minutes at 375 degrees. They should just BARELY begin to brown and are better slightly under done rather than over baked. I love the dark patina my baking pans develop after years of use!

You can see they are just barely beginning to brown at the edges. this is about as well done as I like them.
Cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar to taste.
Since rolling and working a dough can make it tough, this no roll method helps to produce a nice tender cookie!

Cinnamon roasted pecans, salted caramels and peppermint bark are also on the list. Perhaps some peanut butter cups and chocolate covered cherries too. We'll see how long it takes to dig out of this mess tomorrow.

As soon as Boogie gets to sleep I'm off to cook up a batch of Christmas Crack! Check it out, not nearly as scandalous as it sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment