Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Diverse Stock Portfolio!


No, not a post about investment banking, but more photos of some of the animals with which we share our farm. These are the brand
new Angora kits born just yesterday! I generally don't have such great access to newborn bunnies, but this Mama chose to kindle behind the nest box rather than in it. They are nice in cozy in a super light weight and soft nest of Mamas fur. I've counted at least six in various shades of gray. I'm amazed at the difference just 24 hours makes. The lower photo was taken yesterday when they were just hours old, all new and pink. The one above taken this evening and I can already see how much more coat they have. Look at those teeny tiny little toes!



These are the kits born a few weeks ago. This Mama did use the nest box and I am just getting my first good looks at the little ones. There appears to be two white, two black and one gray. I think I will need to set up one or two more colonies fairly quickly, they are breeding like, well, rabbits!










Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do with all the lovely, soft fibre they will produce. I'm not sure if I want to learn to spin, have someone else spin for me or just sell it out right.


The four goat kids have been out and about this week after being kept inside by the rain this past weekend. The Oberhaslis are now four months old, the Alpine and LaMancha cross does are three months old.

This is the lovely little doe that had the bout with Clostridia a few weeks back. As you can see she is completely recovered and enjoying the out of doors with the Alpine. That was a very scary episode and one which I do not wish to repeat again, ever.














\
Of course there must be a barn cat. What farm is complete without a barn cat? This gentleman showed up nearly feral well over a year ago but has become quite tame helping me milk twice each day, and grown fat on spare cream. He has the common sense to avoid the dogs and to make himself scarce on the days the DVM comes out, thus avoiding castration to this point, but that will be remedied very soon.


The jack donkey is doing very well. He came here a few months ago, very thin and face and ears covered in fungus. He is gaining a good amount of weight and the fungus is very nearly gone, just a smidge left on the tips of his ears. He's doing his best to woo the two jennys, even though both are considerably taller than he.







and finally......
The large pasture on a sunny spring day.

Now I haven't forgotten the cow, sheep, fowl or dogs by any means, but it is late and they will have to wait for another day.
Good night, sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment