Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter!






















Brrr! It was chilly enough this Easter morning I started a small fire in the wood stove. The wind finally died down enough mid morning to 'hide' some eggs for the little guy to 'find'. He promptly filled his face on peanut butter eggs ---> and had a nice sugar buzz until nap time. Needless to say, his new favorite word is choc-lot! We had the traditional ham with a brown sugar glaze, the obligatory green been casserole, au gratin potatoes, sour cream jello mold and Pioneer Woman no knead rolls.









We had an eventful week here at the farm. After making it through the winter, I managed to get a pretty nasty cold. On Thursday morning I found Calliegh, a three month old registered American Oberhasli doe kid, in quite a bit of distress. In spite of having had two vaccinations, she was fighting Clostridia, which has a good chance of being fatal within about 24 hours. She was given some pain medication, anti toxin and penicillin which initially made her more comfortable, but still had only a 50/50 chance of survival. At 9pm she still had a temp of 104.5 degrees. That night I gave another dose of anti toxin and penicillin. I continued to check her every three hours through the night, dreading what I might find. About 11pm I gave her some bicarbonate of soda to help reduce the acidity in her gut and at 2am she got some pepto bismol to soothe her digestive system. By Friday morning I was cautiously optimistic, even though she looked like she had swallowed a volleyball. I was able to let her have a little milk and water and then crossed my fingers. By afternoon I was pretty sure she had beat the odds and I was able to put her back in with the other kids Saturday night! It's not often you get to beat those kind of odds.


Needless to say, between being sick and playing nurse around the clock, I was beat by bedtime on Friday. I felt considerably better after a good nights sleep, but the sore throat keeps hanging on and I still needed a nap on Saturday.

The Muscovy ducks have started laying so I have a incubator full of hen and duck eggs, a sure sign of spring!





HAPPY EASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment