Sunrise

Sunrise
Early Spring Sunrise Snow on the Silo

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Mighty Wind

We had a front pass through yesterday that brought a small amount of rain and an incredible amount of wind that lasted all day long. I had mentioned in an earlier post that we had some older trees around the farm house that needed to be taken down and Mother Nature gave us a hand with one. She started a few years ago when this particular tree was struck by lightening, knocking part of it down and weakening what remained. When I pulled into the drive after running errands in town, this is what greeted me.
Amazingly, it dropped right in between the shed and chicken coop, causing no damage of note.




The tree was completely hollow and I found that the trunk that remained standing contained a birds nest with three naked hatchlings. I'm guessing they are Starlings, but irregardless, we couldn't leave them exposed so I sent Rob up the ladder to board up the sides and give them a roof. I'm hoping the parents come back to care for them. Notice the nest contained some Guinea and chicken feathers they found around the farm.
























The wind also ripped the plastic cover off of my hoop house. Not a complete catastrophe, but I would have liked it to remain intact for a few more weeks. I'm planning to relocate the hoop house to a spot where it will receive more sun and be better protected from the wind in the future, I'll just be doing it sooner rather than later.


Never a dull moment, NEVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment